The Contact Tracer will be responsible for contacting North Carolinians who have been identified as a close contact to a confirmed COVID-19 case. Contact tracers will use a web-based client resource management (CRM) platform to notify all close contacts of their exposure, determine presence of symptoms, refer for testing is needed, and provide the appropriate isolation or quarantine education and guidance.
Although contact tracers will prioritize notification of contacts by phone, there will also be the need for contact tracers to perform field visits to reach individuals who do not respond to electronic (phone/text/email) contact attempts.
- Follow the set protocol for contacting assigned named close contacts to confirmed COVID-19 patients and document all contact attempts and timeframes in a timely manner.
- If unable to reach close contact after set number of required phone calls/texts/emails have been made, perform field visit if residential or work address is available.
- Assure appropriate donning/doffing of PPE whenever in-person patient interactions are required.
- Use a scripted template to guide the interview process and assure all required questions are asked, education given, and interaction is conducted with professionalism and empathy to encourage forthrightness.
- Maintain daily contact with regional supervisor and assigned local health department to receive assignments and make sure the needs of the local health departments are being met.
- Make sure all case patients are given the contact information for their local health department and the Care Resource Coordinator covering their jurisdiction in case social needs arise during the isolation period.
- Explain the importance of adherence to control measures to prevent disease transmission and keep communities healthy and ensure all follow up questions are answered.
- Complete data entry for contact notification outcomes into the designated system accurately and in a timely manner.
- Immediately report problems or concerns with contact tracing progress to Regional Supervisor for trouble shooting and assistance.
- Support the Local Health Director in issuance of quarantine or isolation orders, when directed.
- Serve as data entry support for local health departments, as needed
- Must be able to travel within assigned region.
- Access to a personal computer/laptop for data entry
- Ability and willingness to go into the field to locate and interview hard to reach contacts.
- High school diploma, or equivalent required
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Fluency in languages other than English is a PLUS
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Preferred North Carolina resident for greater than one year, with familiarity with counties/cites/communities
- Technology requirements: PC with Windows 10, Antivirus Protection: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall; or Mac with Apple OS X 10.13, Antivirus Protection: Sophos
- The ability to make calls from your computer
- Dependable high-speed internet access with the following bandwidth requirements: 10-15 mega bites per second
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle for work use.
- Maintain valid vehicle insurance on vehicle used for work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to exhibit a professional and positive attitude and a good work ethic
- Ability to prioritize workload, set and meet deadlines
- Ability to follow directions given by assigned local health department and regional supervisor to ensure the needs of the program are being met.
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse populations during a time of crisis and distress
- Ability to think critically and use good judgement in all decision making
- Ability to show empathy to distressed individuals
- The job environment is home based.
- Significant travel though the region and North Carolina will be required
- Routinely there may be some minor physical inconveniences or discomforts in the work setting, including sitting for moderate periods of time and repetitive wrist motion
- The job environment can be intense as high volume, repetitive work is an expectation.