NOTE: This position can be remote in any location throughout the US within reasonable proximity to any major airport.What you will do
The Senior Business Development Manager is responsible for identifying, validating, and converting longer term business development growth opportunities that support JCI's Special Hazards and Water-based Fire Suppression products businesses in the North American region.
This senior leader is expected to develop strong end-user, engineering, and fire business influencer relationships at senior levels to drive proprietary or preferred specification status for fire protection products and systems and work seamlessly with the sales leaders in the region to ensure the Business Development work translates into actual sales.
This leader is heading and further developing a team of Business Development Managers in the US and Canada who are respected knowledge leaders in the fire protection industry. Some of the direct reports to this position have a specific regional market alignment and others have a more technical or market segment-oriented responsibility.How you will do it
What we look for
- Work with sales and segment leadership to develop aligned annual Business Development targets supporting our Water-Mechanical, Special Hazards, and Detection businesses.
- Work with sales and segment leadership to develop aligned Market Segment plans for specific target verticals such as Oil and Gas, Mining, and Power.
- Work with product management and provide input to new product development processes as well as to plan for and execute on early-stage promotion and specification work for any new -innovative- product that has been identified to require such support.
- Work closely with the regional Sales teams to ensure longer term specification work ultimately results in profitable sales for JCI and its channel partners.
- Work with the regional team of Business Development Managers to help them build rapport and drive specification enhancements at the owner, consultant, and risk purveyor level as well as those related to identified key-projects and innovative new solutions.
- Monitor size of pipeline, specification status, and progression to ensure optimal conversion of business development efforts into actual sales.
- Conduct regular business performance reviews with the business development teams and participate in progress meetings with the regional sales leadership.
- Work with the Regional Sales Leaders to develop seamless business development and sales processes and associated metrics, supported by SalesForce.com.
- Develop the regional business development organization to ensure continuing high and engaged performance.
- Work closely with segment marketing teams on developing effective approaches and selecting appropriate participants and speakers for industry events and seminars.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business, or Fire Protection Engineering.
- 10 years successful management experience in business development, marketing, or sales, preferably the fire protection or detection industry.
- Proven track record of accomplishments and achievements in the sales function driving profitable business growth.
- Experience working with end-users and engineering companies.
- Experience managing both long and short sales cycles.
- Proven track record of accomplishments in negotiating with large customers.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, maturity and good judgment and be capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals.
- Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning and marketing, business and market development, market research and planning and promotions/advertising required.
- High energy, self-starter.
- Political savvy.
- Strong business and financial acumen.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- High Level of personal accountability as well as holding colleagues to account for performance in a positive way.
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Team player who encourages collaboration across TFPP globally.
- Strong influence and leadership skills with the ability to effectively work in a matrix structure.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, both verbal and written including proficiency with PowerPoint, Excel, Word.
- Approximately 50% travel is expected (post-Covid)
- Master's degree in Marketing, Business, or a related discipline
- Lean/Six Sigma certification
- Technical / engineering background in Fire Protection and Detection
- Knowledge of target market segments Oil and Gas, Mining, and Power
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit