This is an OPS (Other Personal Services) positions and as such no paid time off is offered. Health benefits will be offered for full-time employment. OPS employees are eligible to participate in a deferred compensation plan.
We request that all applications be completed with People First - no faxed or mailed applications to the agency. Experience, education, and/or training used to meet the minimum qualifications and in response to the qualifying questions must be verifiable through information contained in your application.
When completing the online application, all gaps of employment or education greater than 90 days starting from high school must be explained (approximate date, month, and year) identifying company name or if unemployed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under general supervision, interviews, evaluates, and monitors clients, provides education,
guidance and isolation/quarantine parameters based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as the Florida Department of Health in Broward County recommendations for those individuals who meet case definition for a confirmed, suspect, or probable case of a communicable disease.
- Interviews cases to establish the case history.
- Records and establishes the description and timeline of onset of symptoms and interviews case to determine all possibly exposed individuals.
- Obtains contact information for each of those individuals.
- Explains information and recommendations regarding isolation and quarantine parameters, services available to case, and monitors case for ongoing needs and disease clearance.
- Helps case develop an appropriate plan which may include referral to another agency or professional.
- Maintains detailed records of cases and assemble these into periodic reports.
- Data entry and familiarity with computer software programs.
- Answers telephone inquiries involved with contact tracing duties related to quarantine and monitoring of contacts.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS &ABILITIES
- Knowledge of scientific methods and principles.
- Knowledge of mathematics and statistics.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, health agencies, physicians, individuals, and the public.
Ability to research, investigate, and report cases of communicable disease outbreaks.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret epidemiological and statistical data pertaining to the control of communicable diseases.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Ability to learn and become proficient in the methods of prevention and control of communicable diseases.
- Ability to use electronic databases and other computer software packages.
- An understanding of patient confidentiality, including the ability to conduct interviews without violating confidentiality (e.g., to those who might overhear their conversations).
- Understanding of the medical terms and principles of exposure, infection, infectious period, potentially infectious interactions, symptoms of disease, pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic infection.
Excellent and sensitive interpersonal, cultural sensitivity, and interviewing skills such that they can build and maintain trust with patients and contacts.
- Basic skills of crisis counseling, and the ability to confidently refer patients and contacts for further care if needed.
- Resourcefulness in locating patients and contacts who may be difficult to reach or reluctant to engage in conversation.
- Understanding of when to refer individuals or situations to medical, social, or supervisory resources.
- Cultural competency appropriate to the local community.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree.
- Ability to work varied hours including nights and weekends according to agency needs.
This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit.
Any misrepresentations or omissions will disqualify you from employment consideration.
You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) to conduct this background check.
You will be required to provide proof of education in the form of a degree or transcript.
The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility.
Incumbent may be required to work before, during and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency. Emergency duty required of the incumbent includes working in special needs shelter, or performing other emergency duties including, but not limited to, responses to or threats involving any disaster or threat of disaster, man-made or natural.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: http://www.sss.gov
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.